A Creative Independent Novel Project

By: Caden Herring 1st period

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Patrick's Analysis 5

What I previously thought was just bad hearing on the people Patrick was talking to's part, I now realize it's something else entirely. Everything crazy that Patrick "says" or "does" while in public places that get no reaction from those around him are really figments of his imagination. They are things he wants to do, but doesn't because of public indecency. Since Bateman is the unreliable narrator of the story, he could possibly think that he has done all of these things, when in reality he has not. "I then call back to him, 'Hey asshole, I want to watch you die motherfuck-aaahhhhh,' and then started running around 58th screaming like a banshee. (pg. 179)" This shows how wild his imagination can run. For him to believe he actually committed these acts of insanity shows that his psychiatric issues run deep into his brain. I'm assuming that many more things like this will continue to happen in the book, which makes me wonder if he'll ever grasp a clear separation from fantasy and reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment